If you work in public services or for a private contractor providing public services and the essential utilities in the Northumberland area, we can help.
UNISON is the largest public sector trade union in Northumberland and the UK’s largest public service union. Membership starts from just 28p a week and gives you access to a whole range of benefits, from free legal and welfare advice to discounts on insurance and grants for workplace training.
With more than 5,000 members across the Northumberland region and 1.3 million members nationwide, being part of UNISON Northumberland means you have direct access to Unison services locally, with the benefit of the full weight of the UK’s leading trade union behind you.
We take the lead in negotiating all of your national and local pay and conditions of service. Being a member gives you a voice and a vote to get your views taken into consideration.
We also do a lot more to help you directly when it matters the most to you.
If you need any advice, guidance or support the Branch has stewards situated in workplaces who may be able to help, alternatively you can call the Branch office where staff and reps are available to speak to you.
Membership costs from as little as £1.30 per month.
What should you expect?
- Help with pay and conditions of service – Year on year, UNISON wins pay rises for its members. Average earnings are around eight per cent higher in unionised workplaces.
- Equality in the workplace – UNISON is campaigning to bring women’s pay into line with men’s. Workplaces with union recognition are 20 per cent more likely to have an equal opportunities policy.
- More holiday – UNISON has won increased leave for many of its members wherever they work. We also have our own holiday centre for members and families at the Devon seaside.
- Better training – UNISON provides courses to help you learn new skills, improve existing ones and develop your career. Since 1994 UNISON has won agreements with employers to pay for courses and provide time off for employees to attend them. Training advice and courses, leading to vocational and professional qualifications.
- Health and safety guidance and support – Our health and safety stewards are trained to minimise the risk of workplace injuries and ensure that employers meet their legal obligations.
- Cash benefits for accidents and injuries at work – UNISON wins millions in legal compensation for people who are injured or become ill at work. We won more than £28 million in 2009 for members and their families.
- Unrivalled protection and representation at work – UNISON campaigns for tougher laws to make it illegal to discriminate on the basis of sex, race, age, disability or sexual orientation. Black and Asian trade unionists earn 32 per cent more than non-unionised colleagues. Trade union members are only half as likely to be sacked as non members.
- Help to keep public services public – UNISON campaigns against all forms of privatisation, including PFI and foundation hospitals. Where our members have been transferred to the private sector we have won them pay and employment protections.
- Excellent legal services including free help with work problems and legal support for members and their families.
- Support for you and your family – Confidential welfare services for you and your dependants in difficult times.
- Pensions advice.
- A special hotline, UNISONdirect, for help and advice on workplace issues.
- Online employment and workplace advice.
- A colour magazine sent to your home four times a year, a monthly magazine for our stewards and activists and a full range of publicity.
Get in touch
If you’d like to join or want more information it couldn’t be easier, get in touch today on (01670) 624406 for the Branch Office
OR email: email@example.com
You can even join online, it shouldn’t take longer than 10 minutes: http://www.unison.org.uk/join
OR telephone Unison Direct on 0845 355 0845.